5 Health Lessons We Can Learn From The Greeks
60 minutes recently did a story on Ikaria, the Greek Island of Youth. We’ve read books, articles and generally heard ad-nauseum about the health benefits of a Mediterranean diet but are you living the med-diet dream? Check out MindBodyGreen’s article on the wisdom of the ancient Greeks…
Here’s the WY? edit:
1. Adopt a Mediterranean diet - Everything in moderation, lots of fresh fruit and veggies, unprocessed food and of course olive oil…don’t forget let medicine be the food.
2. Cook with wholesome ingredients – that means buying organic where you can, avoiding processed foods and nasty vegetable oils (canola,corn,cotton,peanut and palm) and dial up the probiotics.
3. Adopt healthy and happy thoughts - An excess of unhappy thoughts can cause an imbalance in your body…channel our hero Mary Poppins and think happy.
4. Moderate exercise - Not to little, not too much…1/2 an hour a day of moderate exercise is all you need!
5. Eat with peace and calm - Mindful eating is a buzz term you may have heard but we think it has serious merit…don’t rush your meals, don’t eat in front of the TV and take time out to think about your next mouthful and where it came from.
…and now, all you need is a first class plane ticket to Ikaria or Santorini, or Mykonos, or Paros, or Lesbos or Cofu….who cares as long as it’s an island!
Read the full article on Mindbodygreen here….