AN ORGANIC OBSESSION. FAST FACTS & WHERE TO SHOP.
When it comes to eating organically, much of the community is divided. The media are very quick to put the boot in and jump on any report that shows organic produce is no better than conventional…what they all seem to leave out is what’s not in organics – the herbicides, pesticides, other synthetic additives and preservatives. The human body does not process these chemicals effectively, therefore the nutritional value of the food is compromised.
@WY? We like our food sans chemicals (we don’t want chemical run off in our water systems either) and if your body is the temple it should be, the choice is easy…read on to hear 3 basic truths on organics from our favourite organic surfer Paulie the owner of Ripe Organics…
Organic VS Conventional- benefits in a nutshell?
Choosing organic food will minimise your exposure to :
- pesticides – synthetic chemicals – additives
Certified organic animals are raised on food that contains no :
- hormones – growth promotants – antibiotics
- preservatives – not treated with synthetic chemicals
BIG PLUS…buying organic meat or animal by-products ensures that the animals have been raised under some of the most stringent protection regulations in the world.
How do we know that what we are buying really is organic?
Consumers cannot be guaranteed that a product is organic unless it displays an organic certification logo. When it comes to buying your fresh produce, choose a local, well-known, trusted seller. Look for seasonal produce that is vibrant in colour and appears to be as untreated and untouched as possible…(organic isn’t always the prettiest pick of the bunch!). With packaged products look out for the Australian Certified Organic ‘bud’ logo (previously know as the BFA or Biologocal Farmers Association), they are the leading certifier in this country.
7 compelling reasons to switch to organics…
- Avoid eating up to two kilograms of food additives every year
- Avoid GMOs (genetically modified foods…think Frankenstein)
- Lower the incidence of neurodevelopmental problems in children, perhaps including ADHD and autism.
- Reduce the risk of cancer
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by eliminating synthetic nitrogen fertilisers
- Ensure humane treatment of animals
- Reduce chemical runoff and residues in drinking water, waterways and coastal areas
For the best in organic produce – WY? recommends…
Ripe Organic Grocer – Albert Park, Prahran & Victoria Market