Leaving a comfortable gig to work for yourself can be a liberating, exhilarating, and downright terrifying experience. Here are a few things to keep in mind before you make the big leap.
- Figure out a daily routine and stick by it. Part of leaving your office job may have been your desire to escape the inflexible work hours, yet a similar schedule is needed if you want to succeed solo.
- Separate your work and home life with clearly defined working hours. Compartmentalize tasks as to avoid distractions and procrastination during your working day.
- Know when to say ‘no’ as to not overload yourself. Taking too much onboard can reduce quality of work and lead to burnouts. Don’t slam the door on prospective projects but explain how busy you are, keeping yourself open to a future opportunity if it ever arises.
- If you canâ€™t deal with the loneliness of working at home, try renting a desk or bunch together with a group of friends who’ve also decided to work solo.
- Remember, stay organized, time manage and don’t let the fear of failure keep you from pursuing your solo dreams.