Coolum, on the Sunshine Coast in QLD
What do you do?
I’m a writer, a speaker, a health educator and very proud pug owner. I’m the creator of a website called The Wellness Warrior, where I share my cancer recovery story, and write daily articles on courage, kindness, self-respect — and of course, nutrition & movement. I just launched my very first digital experience: The Wellness Warrior Lifestyle Transformation Guide. It’s a whole world of information and support for people who want to look and feel better, heal their bodies from stress & disease, and keep their own wellness promises.
What are the top five things on your shopping list right now?
1. Quinoa – It’s so yummy and so versatile. With slight variations, I can eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.
2. Coconut everything – Water, oil, butter, shredded! C Coconut Water is the best coconut water I’ve come across (apart from drinking it straight from the coconut). Go to www.ccoconutwater.com.
3. Kale – This is my favourite green. I add it to juices, smoothies, salads and cooked dishes.
4. Hawaiian Pacifica Spirulina – Spirulina is one of my favourite superfoods, but many people screw their noses up at it because it Coldplay albums mp3 download can taste kind of like pond scum. Not this brand though! It’s the first non-fishy spirulina I’ve found. Go to www.hawaiianspirulina.com.
5. Loving Earth chocolates – Chocolate, that is healthy. Does there need to be another reason? It’s made from organic cacao, coconut syrup and superfoods. So yum! Go to www.lovingearth.net.
You’re known for guzzling many green smoothies! What’s a quick recipe for us to try?
This is my signature The Wellness Warrior smoothie. It’s the perfect balance of greens, fruit, a healthy alkalising base and energy giving super foods.
1 large stalk of kale (leaves only)
1 large Cos lettuce leaf
1 small leaf of Swiss chard or silver beet
1 small frozen banana (or half a large one)
1 cup coconut water
½ lemon, juiced
1 tsp spirulina
1 tsp bee pollen
½ tsp maca powder
1. Wash and prep all ingredients
2. Chop frozen banana into chunks
3. Add everything to blender and whiz until smooth
4. Top up with coconut water or water if needed
5. Serve immediately
You’re an avid fan of meditation. What are some tips for newbies giving it a go?
Start wherever you are with whatever you have. Don’t wait for the conditions to be perfect – that will never happen. You also don’t need a fancy cushion or a dead-quiet house. Close your eyes, relax your body, focus your attention on your breath, and use the sounds you hear around you to anchor your presence. Boom – you’re meditating!
Remember, start small. Even if you start with one minute, and then work your way up to five, 10, 15, 20 and then 30, you are developing a beneficial meditation practice.
Can you recommend a meditation school or teacher?
Ian Gawler is amazing. He has an online meditation course called Mind Body Mastery that I always recommend.
Gabby Bernstein is an amazing spiritual teacher who I love, and she has amazing guided meditations, as doesLouise Hay. The boys from Science Of Stillness are wonderful as well. They have online programs and run stillness retreats that are awesome.
What can subscribers learn from your new project the Lifestyle Transformation Guide?
The Wellness Warrior Lifestyle Transformation Guide is a gentle, step-by-step guide that is designed to educate, inspire and make transforming your life easy and sustainable. It contains video demonstrations, audio lessons, worksheets, checklists and expert interviews.
It covers every single element of a healthy lifestyle from self love, nutrition, movement, meditation, detoxification, maintaining a healthy home, a healthy beauty routine, dreaming big and goal setting, juicing and heaps of amazing recipes.
What advice can you give to those who work full-time to de-stress and live more healthily?
Stop making excuses. We all have the same 24 hours in a day, and it is often our excuses that hold us back from making positive changes. My best advice would be to get out of bed a little bit earlier to create an elegant morning routine instead of hitting the ground running. Make your morning a sacred ode to your amazing self. Meditate, have a healthy breakfast, speak nice words to yourself, prepare a healthy lunch to take with you.