Day-to-day its Sydney, Australia but I love having all of my friends gathered around a dinner table laughing and enjoying a meal together – wherever that may be!
What do you do?
My sister and I are two halves of the label WATSON X WATSON. We create beautiful, sophisticated, quality clothes and shoes.
Your career highlight to date?
Walking down the catwalk after our Mercedes-Benz Sydney Fashion Week show. After six months of seriously hard work, late nights in the sewing room and early morning meetings, the applause and appreciation on everyone’s faces made all of our hard work feel completely worth it.
Take us through your typical working day…
I spend most of my time at our Bondi office either flicking through fabrics, sketches, leathers (or as I call them, ‘ingredients’) to create the clean-lined modern and wearable pieces that we call WATSON X WATSON. I also spend a lot of my time on the phone keeping my stores, clients and customers happy, sending out orders, placing re-orders and answering emails. It sounds like a lot of hard work and it is, but I enjoy every minute of it.
How would you describe your design style?
We dress a natural, sophisticated woman with her own sense of cool. Wearability is a huge focus for us. We aim to create pieces that are your special ‘any days’ and ‘everydays’ those items you simply can’t wait to wear again.
What are your top must-have items?
- My Tiffany & Co Rubedo cuff
- WATSON X WATSON stretch leather pants (what on earth did I wear before them?)
- My Balenciaga black heels
- My summer-floral WATSON X WATSON babe dress
- WATSON X WATSON flat sandals.
You are known for your gorgeous curls. Who’s your hair-care hero?
I swear by REDKEN hair products – the All Soft range is incredible! I’m always at the beach in the sun and putting highlights through my hair, so the Argan oil and All Soft Treatment save my hair from feeling like straw.
When producing a fashion show, who’s your favourite…?
• Hair stylist? Phillip Barwick from REDKEN and Muse salon in Crown St, Surry Hills, NSW. Seriously, I have never experienced a better blow-dry in my life – and that’s a big call coming from me.
• Model? Emily Jean, Krystal Glynn and Kaila Hart are my top three!
• Venue? I can’t go past Icebergs in Bondi, NSW. That view is unbeatable and the energy of that place is glam and pure fun.
Upcoming labels need publicity to stand out from the crown. Do you have a publicist?
Yes, we do. Colette Harvey from Park Avenue PR. She is incredible at what she does. Her people skills set her apart from the rest.