West Village, New York City.
What do you do?
I have an online fashion boutique called Ausmode.com.
Has it been difficult founding your own online business?
It’s had its challenges but I think having had a business for years before held me in good stead to understand the phases and innate hurdles facing a new business. I would advise anyone starting a business to make sure they love the business, because it takes a lot of passion and dedication to fuel the hard work.
What are your top three stores in New York?
- Design Within Reach – I set up our NY apartment from scratch and this was a great source for a few staple furniture items.
- Opening Ceremony – they curate such an interesting selection of designers and products, so it’s always worth a visit.
- Number 6 – it’s a boutique in my old street in Nolita. It’s a destination store as it’s not on a major shopping strip, but I think this makes it better.
Tell us about your beauty routine?
A couple of friends of mine work for an online beauty store called Beauty Sage which sells eco-friendly products. I try to only use organic/non-harmful products these days and I recently bought a bunch of great things from there – argan oil, organic cleanser and rosewater toner.
You’re based in New York but still have your finger on the pulse of Aussie trends. How do you stay in the loop?
I have been here for 3½ years but regularly spend periods of time back in Sydney, which helps. I try to stay dialed into the press and social media of my suppliers and other industry people. Luckily most of the brands we carry have showrooms here in New York, plus I go to some of the trade events here and of course MBFWA.
Where would you go in NYC if you wanted…
- A flash night out – dinner at The Lion followed by cocktails at the bar at the top of The Standard Hotel Highline. It has a fantastic view, so for tourists it’s a must.
- Causal drink with pals – I love Whitehall on Greenwich Avenue or I just head to the East Village where there are a lot of great ‘dive bars’ and a cool energy.
- To kick up your heels – If you want to go out dancing, Le Baron is a fun late-night place, or Acme is another one that people are going to.
What are your top five must-haves?
- Black ankle boots – Beau Coops’ Beau 5 are one of our all-time best sellers. I also just bought some black suede Marais boots with a small heel.
- Leather pants – I bought Helmut Lang here before we received the Kirrily Johnston ones, which are just as good. It’s worth getting the best pair you can afford as you’ll have them for years and get a ton of wear from them.
- Good quality t-shirts and tops in organic cotton.
- A 24-hour dress – i.e. one that can take you from morning to late night.
- Blazers – they instantly add polish and style to your outfit; at the office or off-duty.