We currently live down the coast on the Mornington Peninsula which is where I grew up. We are planning on living between here and Bali in the near future.
What do you do?
My husband Ian Robertson and I recently sold the Bloomfield/Albany Hotels which we owned for over 11 years. We still own South Yarra Residences, a collection of terrace houses and apartments we rent for short and long-term stays. We are now looking to build some villas in Bali to add to our rental property list.
What are your top must-have items…
- My Blackberry! My husband and my best friend keep trying to get me to do the whole iPhone thing but it’s just not me.
- Terry lipgloss from Mecca. They come in these fat, sexy tubes and are so creamy and last for ages.
- Cashmere by Luxewares – It’s permanently freezing here in Melbourne so cannot live without it! It’s also owned by my good friends Lisa and Pip.
-Thermomix - I use it every day for my morning shake and it’s great for making ice-cream, cakes, risotto, soups and so much more. I am not much of a cook but can fudge it with this machine!
Where does your design inspiration come from?
My father Peter Bloomfield was an interior designer so I guess I inherited quite a bit from him. Ian and I are also a good team and talk into the night about ideas we have and somehow after 100 arguments we manage to produce something we love.
Top five budget decorator tips?
1. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get the look you want, sometimes the less money you have to spend makes you be way more creative.
2. Think outside the box. Instead of pictures in our hotel rooms we designed bedheads with screen-printed murals of fashion,rock ‘n roll, planes and trains on them.
3. Do as much of the work as you can yourself or enlist family and friends.
4. Try to have an idea in your mind of the end result and stick to it
5. Always have a marriage counsellor on hand!
A second-hand furniture restorer you’d recommend is…?
We bought a lot of stuff from Angelucci 20th Century Design. Dean Angelucci has an amazing eye and some great pieces in his shop and has also just launched a new online shopping website.