From home-grown designers and great local produce to the hottest cocktails, we sat down with Susannah and asked her to share all the insider local secrets…
With my wonderful partner in New Farm, Brisbane
What do you do?
I’m the founder of The Urban List, which means I spend my days working with our team to hunt down the best local discoveries our city has to offer. We are just about to launch in Sydney and Melbourne, so I am spending more and more time in those cities too, discovering all of their hidden gems.
What beauty product can’t you live without?
Mecca Cosmetica’s In A Good Light tinted SPF30+
It’s a sunscreen, tinted moisturiser and illuminator all in one so perfect for the days when you just can’t be bothered to apply foundation.
What is your favourite neighbourhood restaurant?
Harveys on James Street. The food and the service are always impeccable. I call it my Cheers!
What are your top five must-haves?
- Weekend escapes with my partner (usually involves a culinary mission to find new places with fantastic food)
- Skype sessions with my 10-month-old goddaughter who lives in NYC
- My iPhone (and in equal measure, Instagram)
- Medjool dates
- Sun protection! I won’t leave the house without SPF moisturiser slathered top to toe
In my wardrobe…
- Haider Ackermann and Dries Van Noten. I have been fortunate enough to see them both at Paris fashion week – breathtaking. I’ve been a fan of Dries for years but Haider may surpass him as my new #1…
- For more accessible/wallet friendly piece, I love Carven and Suno NY.
Do you have any off-the-beaten-path shopping spots you love?
I’m not sure if these count as off the beaten track but…
For fashion, I love Camargue in Brisbane
For furniture and lighting, Modern Furniture Store in Brisbane, Dedece in Melbourne and Koskela in Sydney.
For art, the Milani Gallery in Brisbane.
Describe your ultimate day out in Brisbane….
In a perfect world, it’s a Sunday and I didn’t go out last night, so I’m feeling self-righteous and ready to seize the day!
6am – Early morning start at the Northey Street Organic markets, picking up all of our food for the week before sitting down to a coriander-crusted tofu bahn mi roll.
8am – Drop in to Jamie’s Espresso Bar for a flat white. And then a second one, while checking out any additions to the street art “gallery” in the rear car park.
9am – Time for a second breakfast – it’s my favourite meal of the day! Harveys on James Street…
10am – Head over the bridge to Woolloongabba to scour the Antique Centre for a not-yet-nabbed vintage Eames piece. Stranger things have happened! Also, pop in to Milani Gallery to see the current show.
11:30am – Camargue fly-by to see which pieces my wardrobe simply can’t do without. Thank goodness they offer layby.
12 noon – Swing by Cru Bar + Cellar for a sneaky bottle of bubbles, then head to Jocelyn’s Provisions for ridiculously yummy Portuguese tarts, finally pop into Sourced Grocer for any picnic supplies we couldn’t find at the markets (i.e. Buche D’Affinois). Straight on to New Farm Park for a leisurely picnic lunch with friends.
5pm – Calamari and Campari stop off at Beccofino. Some of the best Italian in the city!
7pm – Home early to make roast chicken for whomever feels like stopping by, and regroup for the week ahead.
Name your favourite destinations in Brisbane for…
- All-day breakfast: Au Cirque, Brunswick Street in New Farm
- Fresh produce: Northey Street Organic Markets, Sourced Grocer on Florence Street and James Street Markets in Fortitude Valley
- After-work drinks: Gerties, Brunswick Street in New Farm
- Best cup of coffee: Jamie’s Espresso Bar, Robertson Street in Fortitude Valley