IT’S ALL IN THE DETAIL…
Having set the benchmark for locally made tailored fashion and worn by leading Australian personalities from television, film, fashion and sport – Godwin Charli is the authority in finely crafted ready-to-wear & made-to-measure suits. And an obvious choice when it came to asking for some insider tips to share with WY?…
The 5 key rules to stick to when hunting for a new suit are…
1. Educate yourself - Try on different styles & really understand what makes you look your best. Is it the colour? Length of jacket? Educate yourself. Make sure the style suits you.
2. Hems and Waist - In most cases a simple lengthen or shorten of the trouser hem, jacket sleeve hem and waist nip is all it takes to make you look amazing. Have these done by an experienced store assistant or reputable tailor.
3. Shop with a purpose - What’s the occasion? Work? Play? Bit of both? So many questions! But these need to be answered. Colours and styles lend themselves to different occasions and getting it wrong could mean the difference of nailing that job interview or impressing that girl or guy.
4. Quality of fabric and make - Most people can tell the difference between a good suit and a bad suit. A trans-seasonal weight wool is best for most occasions, normally between a super 100-120. Do your research on the brand or manufacturer – are they suit experts?
5. How does it make you feel? – There should always be a feeling of supernatural ability when you wear a suit correctly. If you feel anything less than amazing, take it off.
Suiting 101: the most popular cuts & colours for women & men this season are:
Men - Blue tones will still be popular this spring/summer season. Plain or micro design wools are all the craze. Try experimenting with cotton or cotton/linen blends as a separate jacket or even a full suit. Pastel or rusty colours will also be popular in jacketing and trouser looks.
Women - Subtle tones of blues, greys and natural tones will give women a fresh approach to the office environment. More open, lapel-less jackets are making a strong surge from Europe. Simple, elegant, feminine silhouettes should be maintained with an emphasis on trouser lengths. Keep the finished lengths for cigarette style pants to ankle height and slightly wider leg styles to mid heel. Pencil skirt options should sit on or just above the knee in any corporate space.
How do you advise clients and customers on the best way to clean and store an expensive suit?
- Dry clean only when necessary with a reputable dry cleaner. Keep in mind that excessive dry cleaning can permanently damage the suit’s fibres and construction.
- Men, buy a second trouser to rotate the wear; and women, consider a 3 piece option (jacket, pant, skirt) to achieve longevity and versatility.
- Always hang your suit on the correctly supplied hanger. The shoulders should always be supported and never left on skinny disposable wire hangers.
Can you please share the names of your go-to alteration specialists in Melbourne & Sydney?
Melbourne – Finest Alterations, South Yarra
Shop 3/457A Chapel Street
South Yarra 98265004
Sydney – Looksmart Alterations, Sydney CBD
Suite 15/ Level 9 The Dymocks Building
428 George Street
Sydney CBD 92230111
Visit Godwin in-store for a personal styling session/made-to-measure suit fitting…
Melbourne CBD – 194 Little Collins Street, Melbourne 96624435
South Yarra – 447A Chapel Street, South Yarra 98273367
Richmond – 154 Bridge Road, Richmond 94291480