Zoe Bingley-Pullin’s Healthy Weekend Pancakes
I’m personally a big fan of healthy pancakes and these high protein berry pancakes are a great way to kick-start the day! For starters, IsoWhey® protein powders are packed with 23 vitamins and minerals to promote good health, which will keep you feeling fuller for longer rand may help curb cravings in between meals.
Blueberries are a great addition to any recipe because they are bursting with flavour, low in calories and are packed full of nutrients that promote antioxidant support in the body. These little berries are well known as a superfood and evidence to suggests that blueberries may improve memory and eye sight.
Blackberries are also low in calories and rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin K which helps assist with muscle relaxing. Blackberries encourage the tightening of tissue, which can help to reduce inflammation and maintain brain function. They are high in fibre and rich in nutrients, making blackberries the perfect choice for those wanting to maintain good health.
The dark blue colour of both blueberries and blackberries ensures they have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits. Antioxidants help to combat the free radicals that can damage cellular structures and DNA. So if you love pancakes and would like to try a healthier alternative give these ones a go!
Gluten-Free Buttermilk Berry Pancakes
¾ cup gluten-free self-raising flour
¼ cup of Isowhey® protein powder (Suggested flavour: Strawberry Smoothie)
1 tbs honey
1 cup buttermilk
Zest of ½ lemon
125g mix of frozen and fresh blueberries and/or blackberries
Honey to serve
1. Pour flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. In a jug, whisk buttermilk, honey and egg. Pour into well mixing until a smooth batter is formed. Once the batter is smooth, add mixed berries.
3. In a small bowl, put lemon zest and honey together until smooth. Chill until required (optional).
4. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan on low-medium. Add a small amount of extra virgin oil to the pan. Spoon 2-4 servings in to the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side until underside is golden. Transfer onto a plate and keep warm.
5. Serve pancakes. Top with berries, drizzled honey and remaining zest